A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. tugo

tugo Active Member

So Vic, may be that reason I did not have any brushes till now.
    Water Hyacinth looks beautiful but I tried one time and no more. Because in winter you have to take it indoors and give a very strong light to let it survive the winter. That was too much for me and with the normal daily light it just got rotton. Sorry.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

lol go gurl

3. Nath

Nath Active Member

Thanx for the link Lorax, very interesting i've never tried grafting on a rose i must admit, but I will now.

Vic great pictures thats given me a few ideas for next year on what to do in my garden.

Tugo thanx to you too, I'l look forward to some seeds.

We had some incredible Thunder Storms last night and the rain came down in sheets so my Lillies and Roses will need lots of TLC when I get back from work. The Cycads and Bananas seem to have really enjoyed the extra water though and my Bouganvillea is shooting out all over the place.

Nath

Nath

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Vicarious - those are just beautiful - wow! I have never seen the bi-colored roses before this thread. They really are special. That red and pink one is so lovely.

That water hyacinth is gorgeous! Love it. Will it return every year?!!!

: )

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Just took these shots early this morning...

I went outside to skim the top of my container water pond. You can see the strainer on the step in front of the pond. It works great to clear away mesquito larvae, algae formation, floating dead bugs, etc. The water is sparkling clean, because I do it everyday.

Second is my 'conneticut king' lilies, again. The are really blooming away now...

Attached Files:

6. Nath

Nath Active Member

Very Nice Lillies HBL. Fortuanetly for me in spite of the downpours in the night I have probably close on 15 more Lillies in bud just waiting to bloom so all isnt lost yet.

It keeps raining here worse than rainy season in Mexico, it should be hot and dry at this time of year not humid and wet.

One of my Agave pups I planted out last year that I thought had died with the frost has just struggled back into life again so I'm verry pleased with that and my Broccolli are looking good too. Good to see other things growing well such as my sweetcorn, I'll post some more pics when I get a chance.

Nath

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you Nath, about the lilies. I sure am enjoying them. Sorry to hear about all your rain! How depressing. Hope some sun shines for you soon.

Looking forward to seeing more of your shots, when you get a chance. Great, about your Agave!

Um...what is an Agave, anyway?!!!

: O

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wah, wish I had your problem, Tugo. Water Hyacinth is a noxious weed here. Nothing kills it, and whenever we get a flood the population just explodes, which makes it hard to navegate the areas even in a low-draft canoe.

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Off topic but since you're here Lorax:

I could not get those vanilla beans to sprout. No luck.

: (

It must be due to not having that bacteria necessary for germination. However, I have found a place in Quebec that I just recently received 4 beautiful Goji berry shrubs from, that also sells vanilla vine plants already growing. They are inexpensive and in Canada, which I like.

I was so impressed by the order I received from him that I am definitely going to place another order again soon. For anyone interested in checking out his wonderful and unique selection...

www.floraexotica.ca

10. tugo

tugo Active Member

Funny:)) I tried soo much to keep only one piece alive. Thanks

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Guess what I just finished doing?...

Sowing some new passionflower seeds, from ShearMe, and finally I decided to sow a few of those 'Abacaxi' pineapple seeds as well, Lorax! Too cool.

I am going to keep it inside until next Spring and then I will put it in the earth to develop a gorgeous fruit for me!

I am using my mist bottle of course, to help the seeds sprout sooner. I will let you know...

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, I just googled to find out what the heck an Agave was - since no one would tell me!

What a cool looking plant, Nath. Love to see pics of yours later...

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I swear I saw that same trellis you have at Lowes today, HB! My grandmother and I purchased some more plants and pots today; I'll post pics once I get a camera with batteries...

I like that guy's website, I'll have to buy some stuff from him next year.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

ShearMe:

Not surprised about the trellis because I got it at Wal-Mart! I have another one that is absolutely huge in my living room, that I have behind my couch with white Xmas lights on it. I grew cantaloupe melons on it one season!

Yes, his selection is awesome. I am placing another order shortly, for many of his cool fruit and berry seeds, a bayleaf plant, and an olive tree!

15. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ditto here.

By the way all our rain must be up there with Nath. Time you sent it down pls. I noticed my maple by the front is starting to shoot leaves and it is mid winter????????????????????? The daffodils are out down the road in the paddocks, the birds are nesting??????????????????? something is really wrong with this picture.

Liz

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oh no! The mole people have made their way to Australia now!!! :o

Just kidding, but here are some shots of the new plants. Some pictures are blurry due to a cheap camera, but they get the job done.

1-4 = Mailbox add-ins
    5 = Venus Flytrap
    6 = ???
    7 = Sweet basil sprouts
    8 = Vinca seed pods

Sorry about the macro, but it was dusk.

Attached Files:

17. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear lorax; will such a rose give productive seeds? or no chance?

18. tugo

tugo Active Member

Hi HbL, the sea daffodil started showing up. Actually I saw it 2 days ago but thought it could be a weed and today I looked under and saw the roots. Yours should be on the way also.
    sd.jpg

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Very nice, Tugo. Yes, I hope mine will be up soon too.

20. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hi HBL,

Sorry I couldnt reply in time to tell you what Agave is but glad you found out, its probably the best plant in the world to treat burns with well sun burn anyway, good for washing your hair with to that is the liquid inside there are many different types but the one common to Mexico we call Savila and you can make a drink called pulke from it which can be alcaholic or not and has certain properties that the older generations of Mexicans say produces longevity and potency like an aphrodisiac.

It can grow very high too. Here are some of the Spanish variety from Gaudi's Park in Barcelona last year when we were there.

Nath[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks for the shots, Nath. Wow - those are so cool looking.

22. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    It's just a few cents in the shops and there are always some on some ponds here in Vancouver. How about the numbelo in my pot in the winter ? Can I leave it out or must it come indoors? that is a BIG & HEAVY pot

23. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Yea GREAT plants I had one in South Africa what I like most is the pattern one leaf leaves on the other leaf as they open . The more you cut the lower leaves the more the center leaves will rise . In South Africa we also had a little succulent that has a Aloe like jelly in its leaves that are longish and round and we used them to put on the woonds and childen squeeze them on cuts and broozes when they play rough . I can't recall the name but most people like to grow on in a pot. Must look if I took a macro of it or not ..its a very commune green plant about 10inch sort of high hanging type..

24. Nath

Nath Active Member

Well is en a fantastic sunny day today and its encouraged the Lillies to bloom again.

Here are a few fotos.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

25. The Hollyberry Lady

All I can say is - wow!