Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Active Member

Update on my Hana Matoi.

I still have never seen any candy pinks or cream variegation swirls on my plant. The colors are nice none the less but it still has me wondering if it was mislabeled at the nursery in Washington. Do they revert or do they show heavy variegation on old branches? Anybody own a Hana Matoi that doesn't get cream/pink colors?

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Connor, the variegation appears as the leaves age, (it is subtle), it doesn't appear in early Spring. As you can see by my photo #125, they are only just turning. My tree is several years old BTW. Your photo 2 is showing signs of turning, so wait until next month and you should see more variegation.

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I agree. Putting it in a rather sunny place helps too.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  4. Acerholic

19th May 2022 and after a lot of chat on the forum about this cultivar I thought I would post this to show how the variegation is slow to come through on new leaves. But as can be seen, it is starting. It is June when the variegation happens on this one.
    Hana Matoi 19th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  5. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Active Member

I visited Sam at EastFork Nursery back in July and I had to ask her the question...

"Does Hana Matoi revert?"

Sam said yes and she had also recently received a order from Buchholz nursery with some reverted.

I've been emailing with Cloud Mountain Nursery in Washington, where I had gotten my Hana Matoi... and after my inquiry about mine... they checked out their stock mother and found she had reverted!

From what I've observed from my mothers Hana Matoi is variegation comes right from the start, it doesn't slowly happen over time. I hate to say that I think our Hana Matoi have reverted @Acerholic :(

Here is a picture of new growth from my moms tree.

IMG_1583.jpg . IMG_1581.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  6. Acerholic

Hi Connor @Connor Sullivan I have found it depends on the year tbh. The older leaves do turn rather than earlier leaves. But yes it can revert as most variegated maples. Here's mine a few minutes ago.
    20220907_154715.jpg

7. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have had problems with Hana matoi liners from Buchholz Nursery - the only wholesale nursery I buy from. Of the 25 liners I received this year 13 did not show any pink. In the past I had potted up Hana matoi liners that never showed pink and after 4-5 years of growth and now in a 3 gallon container they still did not show one iota of pink. Nicely shaped weepers were given away to customers free. So this year I tossed the 13 liners with no pink and potted up the other 12. The Hana matoi I received from Buchholz in 2020 are showing pink, but as you know this is a very, very slow growing weeper. What I still want to know is this- Did Talon take the scion wood from a branch without pink or if he only took scion wood from a branch with pink did it revert after the grafting process. I have yet to ask him.

I for one can document that the pink does not arrive with age. If it doesn't have pink when it is young it isn't going to get any!

maf and Connor Sullivan like this.
  8. Acerholic

9th October 2022 and some pretty colours this morning in the chilly dew. It has done OK considering the long Summer drought.
    Hana Matoi 9th October 2022.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.