Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Active Member

Update on my Hana Matoi.

I still have never seen any candy pinks or cream variegation swirls on my plant. The colors are nice none the less but it still has me wondering if it was mislabeled at the nursery in Washington. Do they revert or do they show heavy variegation on old branches? Anybody own a Hana Matoi that doesn't get cream/pink colors?

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Connor, the variegation appears as the leaves age, (it is subtle), it doesn't appear in early Spring. As you can see by my photo #125, they are only just turning. My tree is several years old BTW. Your photo 2 is showing signs of turning, so wait until next month and you should see more variegation.

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I agree. Putting it in a rather sunny place helps too.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

19th May 2022 and after a lot of chat on the forum about this cultivar I thought I would post this to show how the variegation is slow to come through on new leaves. But as can be seen, it is starting. It is June when the variegation happens on this one.
    Hana Matoi 19th May 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.